Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Song I wrote

So I thought I would share the words

to one of the songs I've written

But before I do, let me give a brief explanation

as to the purpose for the song...


Originally I wrote it after heading to

the store one afternoon and coming across

a couple who was fighting, with nothing but

horrible, degrading words spewing out of this guys

mouth towards the woman he was with.

I wondered if he beat her at home...

I was concerned...


And it stayed with me for several days

That, and things like it stir me up to do something to help

bring change, in some way...

to bring hope, even through my songs

to a culture where there is so much dysfunction and

brokeness in relationships and peoples lives...


I want to write songs that will take

me to the orphanages, the prisons, the dirty streets,

the high schools and colleges

with words that will light a fire under people for change


My life is a journey, a work in progress - just as my music is...


This is one of my songs: PRISON MAN


1st VS: He slammed the car door

yelled obscenities galore

In my face, he said "I'll do it again"

I felt the bruised heel as my body lay still

On my knees again, let me be livin'


CHORUS: These pictures will have to remain in the frame

and there will be no curtain bow as I exit this stage

cause I'm not afraid anymore

No, I'm not afraid anymore

I'm leaving this time


2nd VS: I hear his steps below

as I'm cradled on my bed

His thunder pounds

please make him quiet

I run into the streets

to find solidarity

oh this prison man is not gonna cage me, not gonna cage me


BRIDGE: I'm on the seven seas, I was walking like the dead

'till I turned around and shut him up and put him on his head,

I refuse to listen - I'm leaving the lions den

I'm gonna win this war


*copyrighted* by Kandice Holt




*a picture of me and a friend after putting on a music, arts event show

"Night of the Orphan Soul"*

1 comment:

  1. You're pretty amazing. But I have to hear it; it's like only telling someone about a painting. You have to fully experience it.

    ReplyDelete